Monday 19 April 2010

One Day at a Time

So basically, I have been going just one day at a time since the volcano ash fiasco has begun. I have seen neither cloud nor ash and still have no real idea if I will be returning to Kentucky on Wednesday. Flights were supposed to resume on Saturday. It is now Monday and only a handful of flights haven't been canceled out of Heathrow. Destinations for these include Belfast and Zurich. Other than that, there is basically no flying out of London, at least from Heathrow. I have not checked the other airports.

Gerrit, as always, is my anchor. On Friday, he asked me to call or at least find a phone number for Air Canada to check on my flight status. Of course, thanks to my lack of any sort of luck, I found numbers that either did not exist or were long distance or just weren't appropriate for the questions I needed to ask. I, of course, became seriously stressed out, to the point of almost being sick and in tears. Upon arriving home, Gerrit promptly found a number, called it, and verified that, as of that moment, my flight was still on for Wednesday.

This entire weekend he has been here, keeping me grounded...pardon the pun, snicker... he has dutifully checked the flight schedule for Heathrow and Air Canada. Whenever I lapsed into one of my notoriously over dramatic freaking out, 'its the end of the world' moments, Gerrit, in all his stress free coolness, just hugs me and says something like "Don't worry. We'll figure it out and get it all fixed. If the flight is canceled, we will just call and get you a new one. Simple as that." Oh how I wish it were that easy for my brain, to just be cool and calm and not freak out due to any deviation whatsoever from "the plan".

As of this morning, when Gerrit called, my flight is still scheduled for Wednesday. But who knows what will happen over the next 36 hours. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

1 comment:

  1. Don't freak, if you can't come in, you will have to spend a couple more days at home with your husband.... Oh, wait, you're right! That would be the end of the world! just kidding!

    I love you! And will be happy to see you NO MATTER WHEN you get into the US. :)

    ReplyDelete