Tuesday 29 June 2010

Running with God

To be able to run has been one of my greatest dreams. I can actually remember dreaming about running. Long, steady strides. Pounding the pavement. And just being able to breathe.

When I was younger, anything cardio induced an asthma attack. This included running, biking up any sort of steep incline, certain calisthenics, swimming. Let me tell you that last one was a real problem. Just imagine yourself having an asthma attack under water...

I usually tried about once a year throughout high school. I would run in the park or just around my neighborhood. I could just get past the first turn or two in the park or around the corner and about halfway down the street before my lungs would protest. I always envied the cross-country people I would see at the park. Mile after mile, especially in the Kentucky heat and humidity. If only I could really run.

Three months ago, I could barely run 1/8 of a mile without gasping for air.

Today, I ran 1.5 miles in the hot sun, against a strong wind, and didn't need my inhaler for the very first time.  As I ran, I prayed, about everything. God bless me with the strength to keep going. Please bring my husband home safely. Help me get past this awful rut I'm in and get through these last days alone. Strengthen my lungs and help me to breathe.  Lord, Bring on the wind.  One foot in front of the other, I ran a mile and half. At my own pace. I broke no world records, and no one on the track took much notice of me. I didn't time it either, because I didn't feel that was important. What was important, was that I did it. Not only did I finish, but I grabbed my keys and kept on running across the street and through the parking lot, all the way to the gym doors.

No one noticed the tears in my eyes as the realization hit me. One of my dreams had actually come true. Through sheer determination, hard work, and a little a lot of extra help from God, I had done it.



I didn't grow up in church. I remember going when I was little but stopping due to sports and traveling around on the weekends. I would go if I spent the night with a friend, but I didn't truly understand His amazingness, until my sophomore year of college. It took some pretty rough times for me to turn to God and ask for help. But pull through them I did. And He has been with me ever since. Helping me to hold myself up when things were rough. Rejoicing with me during some of the best moments of my 22 years. Blessing me with wonderful new friends and introducing me to the most wonderful man I know- my husband. I don't think I would be writing this right now if it wasn't for Him.

The significance of the 1.5 miles is that everyone in the US Air Force has to pass a physical test which includes running 1.5 miles. I joked I would die in basic training because I couldn't run a fraction of it. Now I know that if it came to it, I could do it.

So through my wonderful, amazing, beautiful, merciful, and loving God, I did it. One of my dreams has finally come true. I have finally become a runner.


1 comment:

  1. Linds-- That's so incredible! I can relate, and it is such a great feeling. When you come home again, let's go run together. Or when I come visit you. Either way. :) I love you so so so so much.

    ReplyDelete