Wednesday 18 August 2010

Homesickness

So I've been really homesick the last two or three weeks- to the point of dreaming (multiple nights in a row) about being back in Kentucky at the my parent's house. I haven't talked to any of my friends in Ky in weeks. I think I've skyped with my mom shortly, maybe once or twice. It's just hard to be here without my support system. I never realized how wealthy I was- was in the sense of when I lived in Kentucky. Two wonderful parents who are not only that, but are also friends as well. Three of the bestest friends a girl possibly ask for- have I ever mentioned I met them in elementary school??? A whole gaggle of good friends from high school, church, college. On almost any given day of the week, I had some sort of date or event with one or more of the wonderful people. If I didn't, they were only a phone call away, sometimes even closer than that, if I needed anything. A hug, a listening ear, advice, a laugh, a little extra strength. Someone to go shopping or run errands with.. To go to lunch, dinner, or the movies with. To make peanut butter pie or puppy chow with. To play volleyball or walk around the park with. Here in England, I feel rather poor. I have no extremely good girl friends with whom I have bonded- just a bunch of acquaintances, people with whom I can go grab lunch and sit there talking, getting to know each other. No best friends who know me and love me exactly as I am, whom I could depend on to be there ASAP if I called and need them. Yes, I have my wonderful husband but who is also my best friend. But alas, he is only one man.

I am not only homesick for Kentucky- I am heartsick for those dear, wonderful people I had to leave behind.

1 comment:

  1. Lindsay, I know exactly how you feel except I'm living in Paris.
    I am from Kentucky, went to WKU too, and I knew your husband from marching band.
    I'm a student and the girls here are so different from the ones back home, making friends is easy, but finding ones that are true are rare. Plus, my husband is Turkish, and their culture is so different from ours, men and women really can't be friends.
    So if you ever want to email or talk don't hesitate to ask.
    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete