Tuesday 13 July 2010

The Latest Antics of My Sweet Husband

I absolutely adore my wonderful Gerrit but sometimes I really wonder about the guy...

Within the last week, a pilot here at Lakenheath suddenly passed away. Gerrit's squadron was asked to provide refreshments for after the memorial service. Of course, I volunteered to help out. I decided what I was going to make, bought the ingredients, and about 2 hours later- VOILA! - a wonderfully scrumptious smelling derby pie is procured from my very own oven. My little house now smells like pie so when my dearest darling arrives home from a 12 hour work day, where does he beeline? The kitchen- the stove top- the pie. I turn around just in time to stop him from completely  digging in to the pie !!! I was completely shocked and managed to say his name before destroyed my beautiful pie. I asked him what he was doing, and the dude just looked at me with those big brown eyes. I informed him that this was NOT for us but for the memorial service which elicited a guilty look from guy who almost  got caught with his hand in the metaphorical cookie jar.

And then, this morning, at 6:15am, when I am completely dead to the world- and I mean dead, my phone begins ringing. Bare coherent, I look at the phone and register its my charming husband and hit the accept button, "Mmm..'lo," I believe, was my answer. - "Hey, babe. How are you?" - "Sleeping...unnngh." - "I locked myself out of my car. Do you have the spare key?" - "....No... it's not on my keys..." So half asleep, I stumbled around the house in search of the key to no avail, end up throwing on some random clothes and grabbing a wire coat hanger as I stumbled out the front door to go rescue my knight in shining armour armor. A few dumb questions from passing people, two unsuccessfully helpful friends, a total loss of body heat in the 55 degree morning air, and an hour later, Gerrit and I arrive at the Auto Hobby Center, ready to pay the $35 dollar fee for help only to find it doesn't open for another HOUR AND A HALF ! Back at the car, I realize his keys are actually within range of the coat hanger's reach, rather than trying to pull the handle to just unlock the door. And VOILA!  The key are in my hand without ever having to break a window!
 Thoroughly chilled and rather damp from the spritzing rain, I get in my car, at 7:51am to find my 7:50am alarm on my phone chiming to wake me up.... Sorry Mr Phone Alarm, Mr Locked My Keys In The Car beat you to it this fine cold, damp Tuesday morning.

So just for you,  derby pie mooching, waking me up too early and dragging me out in the cold rain  sweet, darling husband of mine, I baked a batch of deeeelish Scotch Short Bread cookies.



No comments:

Post a Comment